Total Pageviews

progress

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Busy week

 To start with, on Friday I picked up a recent win on shopgoodwill, this one at the big Seattle store.




 Yes indeedy, it's an Empire, a few years older than my Rocket so somewhat different in construction.
I do need to find the repair tutorial for those sprung typebars.




Then on Saturday we went to Portland, to catch the Venice exhibit at the art museum there.  It was fantastic.  I took along the Zephyr Deluxe Pride Line, and didn't know there was a typecast from months earlier still in there.


This typewriter had had a bit of an adventure.  I had checked it into the coat check for the time we were in there, then retrieved it and promptly left it out on a platform outside the museum as we went to lunch, where I discovered the loss.  When we got back, I went inside and they recognized me right away and called lost and found.  He was very interested and impressed with the goodwill price tag too.

Then on Monday, I had some preparations to make.






Dad chose the Royal Aristocrat, first seen in public at the big Snohomish Type-in, where Little Flower Petals borrowed it to win the typing contest.
"Dad" in this case is a design chef who works a few feet away from me.  I think he told me he'd studied literature in college, then somehow got interested in chef training and thrived at it.  College is supposed to get us OUT of foodservice.  I think we're both doing it wrong.  Anyway we talk from time to time about reading and writing and his son is apparently a fire hose of literary creativity.  An opportunity not to be missed, you'll agree.


Apparently the Typewriter was very much appreciated.  Here's what Dad brought me back today.



I think we all know how that feels, kid.  Welcome to the typosphere.

6 comments:

  1. another one recruited to the CAUSE! :D

    PS: that's a very pretty Empire, nice score!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful note from Miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Precious.
      And congratulations on the Empire, that's a nice find.

      Delete
  3. If only my parents had given ME a typewriter at that age.... !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful gesture, NA! You may have created a writer.
    Just wondering, how's the typing action on an Underwood Leader, anyway? I love the look of them, but am just as interested in how they type.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That one is, in a word, flimsy. It is smooth enough but just doesn't feel solid. I don't know about others but the ribbon reverse gives me trouble on all my Underwood portablesof that age.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know if capcha comes back. Thanks for commenting.

Followers

Blog Archive