Total Pageviews

progress

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

My project

As the rest of you disassemble your machines and brave toxic chemicals to create that "silver surfer" look (impressing the hell out of me, by the way), I'm going the other direction.  But rather than paint, I'm covering this QDL with leather.  I bought an old full-length coat at Goodwill (same price as a typewriter!) and am cutting swatches off to glue onto it.  I hope to end up with a "Lincoln Town Car" look rather than a hotrod.

I'm proceeding carefully, but those seams are applied already.  When they dry I should be able to draw them tight and create some effect with the excess material.  Please feel free to weigh in with suggestions on how I should approach the front and back panels with those accents and nameplates.  I'm also looking for faux chrome for the space bar.

9 comments:

  1. As Ricardo Mantalbam would have said, in that classic old Chrysler commercial, "Corinthian Leather!"

    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to following this transformation! Post lots of pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet the leather will soften the sound. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill made a very good point. And it looks nice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A new chapter in deviance is being written here. Not to mention slightly fetishistic. I love it and can't wait to see it finished! Maybe some Tippex could go on the feet to make them white-wall tyres?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leather? Why not.
    I agree with Bill and Florian, you've created for yourself a noiseless QDL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How interesting! This never occurred to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting! I look forward to seeing how this experiment turns out, and maybe seeing it at a future type-in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Elvis. I bet he had one just like this.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know if capcha comes back. Thanks for commenting.

Followers

Blog Archive