Total Pageviews

progress

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Secretaries' Week?







My mother was a professional secretary, so I have a bit more understanding of the job as it used to be.  She often spoke of being an editor of the correspondence rather than a mere transcriber.
I also took high school courses in typing and shorthand.
fun fact:  The line down the middle of a steno pad was because the hand could pivot on the wrist to reach that far.  Moving the hand side to side was wasted time and effort.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that the "suggestions" article reads: "In other words you, and not HE, will write most of HIS letters." It's nice to hear about the role of "real" secretaries as opposed to the "fantasy" ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that too, but the book does date back to 1919. Heck, that far back it may have been for male students.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know if capcha comes back. Thanks for commenting.

Followers

Blog Archive